Seven hours into our drive to Orlando, I was stiff and tired. It occured to me that I may be on my bike for 7 hours during the race. And then I have to run a marathon. I decided I'm going to make sure I train properly and rest well so I can finish the bike leg in well under 7 hours. (Say it with me: How hard could it be?)
Our first day at Disney World was my first "rest day" since November 18th. I don't know why I thought 10 hours of walking would feel like a rest day. I was exhausted by the end of the day. I did make sure to do my stretches every hour; no need to screw up my well-healing knee while on vacation.
I ate my way around the World Showcase at EPCOT. A brat with kraut and a soft pretzel in Germany, a cheese plate with a baguette in France, and dinner in Morocco. Somewhere in there, I had a chocolate-covered ice cream bar shaped like Mickey Mouse's head. How do you spell that sound Homer Simpson makes when he thinks of doughnuts?
I had a one-hour easy run scheduled for Saturday morning before we hit the parks for the second day, but with the amount of "Zone 1" walking I did Friday and would do for two more days, I cut that back to half an hour. I schlepped to the hotel's workout room bright and early to find a tiny, glass-enclosed, smelly sweatbox with five machines: two treadmills, two ellipticals and a crappy exercise bike, all already occupied.
My first instinct was to say "Screw it" and go back to bed, but I decided to give it five minutes to see if any machines would open up. That old dude on treadmill #1 was looking pekid, so I thought I had a chance. Luckily, I only had to wait a couple of minutes; but it was another three minutes into my run when I realized I could've just gone for a run outside. Doh. (This is an example of when having a Garmin would come in handy. I needed to know the distance I covered during my half hour, which is why the treadmill was first choice.)
Another three days of terribly yummy yet exceedingly unhealthy food later, I was back home, stepping on the scale and cursing. I knew the vacation weight would come off quickly, but it still sucks seeing crappy numbers. I felt huge and yucky from all the salty, fatty food. Even my swim cap grew tighter.
So now, I'm into week two of my training plan, and I'm starting to get back in the groove. Biking and swimming are feeling natural again (running never left me; thanks, running!). I got up early and got my workouts done before work every day this week. (That's getting easier, thank goodness.) The vacation weight is gone. (Off-season weight, you're next!) I even had a small breakthrough during today's swim. I'm slightly less pathetically slow.
I hope I can keep the life balance going well through the holidays. This season is known as "Christmas Hell" to us gigging musicians. I didn't take as many gigs this year, but the schedule can still be tough. There is no day off until Christmas is over. Regular work (the real job) is particularly tense right now, with new employees, planning for 2013, and some role changes for me (for the better). I appreciate the help I get from my mom, my sister and JC this time of year. They're all pretty agreeable and supportive. They enable me to do everything I do.

No comments:
Post a Comment