Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Who's Afraid of the Big, Bad Swolf?

I wasn't going to blog today, but Words With Friends isn't working, so, what the hell.

I had two great workouts today! This morning I swam. The drill of the day was the side kicking drill, which helps me with rotation and extension as well as body position. I may try to incorporate that one more often.

The exciting news is that I set a new Swolf PR! Swolf, you ask? Yes, it is a swimming wolf. He chases you in the pool and makes you swim faster. Oh, wait, that's not right - that was my dream last night. Okay, Swolf is a combination of the terms "swimming" and "golf." You get your Swolf score by adding the seconds it takes you to swim one length of the pool to the number of strokes you take. The lower your score is, the better (just like in golf). Fewer strokes equals better efficiency (as long as you're not getting slower); and less time equals, well, less time!

When I started using C-3P0 6 weeks ago, my Swolf score was very, very high. I've been working on swim technique a lot and I'm getting faster, and my Swolf score is dropping too. Today is the first time I've had a score below 40. (I can hear you swimmers laughing at me. I'm damn proud of getting to this point!) I could only reach 36/37/38 for one length at a time, but it's a start. I did it five times this morning. I'm pretty stoked.

Right after work, I hopped on the trainer for an hour in zone 2 including some ILT and some spin-ups. It was a really good ride; my legs felt good, I worked up a nice sweat, and I stayed in the right zones the ENTIRE TIME. Progress!

While I rode the trainer, Sophie brought me her homework to look over, and we practiced her spelling words together. It was an altogether enjoyable hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment